The process for selection as a Fellow is a multi-stage process that includes the following steps:
- Nomination – Potential Fellows must be nominated
- Application – Selected nominees will be invited to apply to the Program
- Selection – Candidates will be notified if they have been selected
NOMINATION PERIOD – THIS PERIOD HAS CLOSED
April 16 – May 20, 2018
Potential JPB Environmental Health (EH) Fellows must be nominated first before being invited to apply to the Program. A Nomination letter from a Dean, Department Chair or Senior Faculty member along with a CV must be submitted using our online nomination form accessed through the JPB EH Fellowship website. Before considering a Nomination, please review the eligibility criteria on this website.
Nomination letters must include the following:
- Examples of recent research and areas of interest
- A description of the candidate’s character and interest in working collaboratively
- Commitment from the home institution that release time from teaching and other activities will be approved if the candidate is selected as a JPB EH Fellow. JPB EH Fellows are required to attend two one week long workshops annually and be able to participate in monthly phone calls.
- A description of additional in kind support available to the candidate should be discussed. Examples of such support could be scholarships for doctoral students and/or post docs, the purchase of lab equipment, software or sample analysis.
- Nominations will be reviewed by committee May 21 – June 8, 2018.
June 15 – July 15, 2018
After review of the nomination materials, selected nominees will be invited to apply to the JPB EH Fellowship program by June 15th.* Also, on June 15th the link to the online application will go live. We will also request contact information for four references – see Reference Period section below for details. Applicants will have 30 days to complete their application and submit requested materials that will include, but not be limited to: a writing sample, other support and updated CV. *Please note -the notification period has been moved from June 11th to June 15th.
Reference Period – due June 24, 2018
Applicants will be asked to provide contact information for FOUR references within 10 days of receipt of the invitation to apply. References will be contacted either by phone or email so it is important to make sure your references are aware they will be hearing from the Directors of the JPB EH Fellowship Program regarding your application.
Interview Period – September 5-7, 2018*
Selected applicants will be contacted early to mid August to schedule an interview day with the Directors, various Harvard Faculty and former JPB EH Fellows here at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health in Boston, MA. Travel expenses for the in person interviews will be covered by the JPB EH Fellowship Program. *Please note: the interview dates have changed and are now September 5th – 7th.
October 6, 2018
Within 30 days of the interview sessions candidates will be notified if they have been selected as a JPB EH Fellow and the cohort of Fellows will be announced as a group.
Award Disbursement – begins in October 2018
Once Fellows and their institutions have been notified we will request a budget in order to issue the first award of 40K.
First workshop – November 5 -8, 2018
The first workshop for the JPB EH Fellows will take place at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA November 5, 6, 7 and a partial day on November 8th.
Special “Mini” Workshop – TBD January, 2019
Many of the first JPB EH Fellows (now called Senior Fellows) are planning a “mini” workshop for the new JPB EH Fellows in Seattle, WA in January 2019. The date has not yet been determined. This workshop would not be mandatory.
Second Workshop – TBD March, 2019
The location and dates have not yet been determined